Down here in good ol' Flagstaff, all fireworks (yep, even sparklers) are outlawed. The good folks that govern this here city decided that this year they would do a lasar-light show; the last two years they cancelled the planned fireworks show due to fire hazard. In Sunday School on July 6th I was talking to the kids I teach, and they said that the laser show was so lame that their family started a mass exodus. Tragic. Maybe they'll go back to fireworks.
I forgot to mention that the only thing we could find to use in the way of fireworks were those "glow worms". You know, the little charcoal discs that you light and they sprout upwards. I forgot how gross those things are. Remind me never to do those again. They seriously ruin my appetite.
Saturday, July 12, 2008
Flagstaff's 4th foibles
Posted by Bliss Sorority (XX) - Flagstaff Chapter at 10:18 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Maybe sparklers should be banned here too. When Amy's kids were in town, Jaida and her kids did some sparklers. Jaida started crying in pain and I told her to drop the sparkler she was holding, thinking that it was burning her. She complained about her foot hurting and when we went inside to look at it, she had a blister the length of a whole remnant sparkler stick. Someone had probably tried to put the sparkler in the bucket but missed and it landed in the grass. Poor girl, I'm sure it did hurt! She soaked her foot in water the whole night. The moral? Wear shoes when doing fireworks!
I do feel for you not having fireworks there. Remember we lived in Tucson too. I remember trying to find something, anything, to do on the 4th. We ended up going to a park and watching the one and only firewords show that was in DOWNTOWN TUCSON while we were about 40 minutes watching at the park. 4th of July just isn't the same without fireworkds.
40 minutes AWAY, that is.
Firstly, I wasn't aware that Jaida had any kids...
Secondly, we were there watching the fireworks with you in the park...
Thirdly, Flagstaff does have one compensation. If there were to be fireworks here, at least it wouldn't be too hot to sit outside and watch them. One year for the 4th, we went to Phoenix to watch fireworks with G-ma and the fam. Talk about HOT! We ended up sitting on lawn chairs in a dirt parking lot, (I was 8 mo. pregnant) sweating to death, seeing about 60% of the fireworks that they were lighting in an arena. We did not choose to do that again.
I thought you knew. And no you weren't in the park with us. We went with Kamber and Claire and you were with the groupies. Remember?
And let us not forget the fun we had when we were rained by fireworks remains and sparks while sitting VERY close to the fireworks this year. My vote is still to have them though.
We went with you at least one year because I remember driving around trying to find you (no cell phone) and sitting in the car with the a/c on watching the fireworks.
Even with the cardboard, I'm still sad that we missed out on the show.
Here's an easy enough solution: Move up here, and soon! YOu have a year to make the necessary preparations.
Hey Kristy... that name Quinn sounds like I know it. I went to high school with a guy named Anthony Quinn maybe it is his sister? what is her first name? and my name use to be Dyer! I need your e-mail address. oh and Emily named there little boy Connor David.. he is so cute I should post a few of him on our blog! we sure do miss you guys! hope to hear from you soon!! Ashley
Post a Comment