Saturday, June 28, 2008

Jacob VS Edward

Shelly are you done reading those books yet?  We need to have our own online book club.  I'm feeling the need to discuss my alternate universe.


13 comments:

Susan said...

I don't know how to vote for the name change but I don't vote for anyone.

Susan

Susan said...

I don't know how to vote for the name change but I don't vote for anyone.

Susan

Shelly said...

The poll has already ended, that's why it has no option to vote. We should add another poll huh.

Amy, I haven't finished the book. I am about 3/4 of the way through Eclipse. When I finish we can talk about it, so give me a few hours. :-)

Bliss Sorority (XX) - Flagstaff Chapter said...

Horray!!!!! I would love to discuss the alternate universe. Amy has already admitted to driving around trying to pick a theme song for the movie. I have to say I've done the same. I can't wait.
I'd also like to give a nod to the queen. hey. welcome.
Kristy

Canda said...

Can I join the discussion when Shelly's done. I started the series on Wednesday of this week, I finished today. It would have been yesterday, but Nathan made me go to bed.

Shelly said...

Okay, I'm done! I can't stop thinking about the books actually. What does everyone think? Let the discussion begin..

Shelly said...

Okay, I kinda thought this book would end with the door still open for Jacob, for some reason. I just love Jacob's confidence and spontaneity (sp?). Edward is so protective and seems to put her will above his own. Edward and Bella have humor in their relatinship too, but not the spontaneity. But. . . if she chose Jacob, she could remain human, have kids, get to see her family, and not be so freakin cold all the time!! You know that really should factor in if they're talking about going to school in the east or Alaska. haha. What do you think? Who should Bella have chosen?

Shelly said...

My vote is for Edward by the way.

Amy said...

I'm voting Edward too. You can't really say she would be better off with Jacob. Sure she wouldn't have to become a vampire and want to suck her parents blood but if she married Jacob she could stay human and get old while he stays perpetually young. Yes, she could have children who one day may or may not turn into warewolfs with no warning. And maybe he could choose to get old and not be a warewolf anymore but come on, that girl really NEEDS 24/7 protection. And then there is the issue about imprinting - one day he could wake up and decide that he is in love with a five year old and she is history. And who's to say that her parents would really be that much safer hanging out with a bunch of warwolf than a bunch of vampires. And while we are on the subject whose to say there is something a little strange about a group of YOUNG moms who feel a need to discuss wether it would be better to marry a vampire or a warewolf?!

Amy said...

I do love Jacob though. I just don't think he is the one for her.

Canda said...

I'm on the Edward wagon too. Jacob is a great friend, but that's it a friend. I totally agree she needs 24/7 protection. I just found out there's a 4th book coming out in Aug. I didn't realize there would be more. What do you think the fourth book will contain. I thought the ending of this one pretty much wrapped things up. I agree the imprinting thing would have had her on the edge the whole time. While it's obvious he's trying to get her to be his imprint, like he said there's no controlling it. I'm not sure Edward could give her up even if that's what she wanted. Look at the Victoria chick and all she did for her mate. Those vampires are serious about their mates. I really liked how once Edward decided to break the rules and be nice to her, he totally embraced it. I say if you're gonna break the rules, do it right, all the way!

Bliss Sorority (XX) - Flagstaff Chapter said...

I thought Edward handled the whole nJacob thing really mature-ly (he is, after all, like 145 yrs old) but, really when you think about it, its alot easier to be benevolent when you know you;re the one she's really stuck on.

You can't factor out the whole imprinting thing. That is a problem.

I wonder about Canda's point of if Edward could have ever really let go of her. He says in the third book that he was just about to come back for her and just forget about trying to do what he thought was right. Do you all think that he will find a way around turning her into a vampire? Do you think that it is inevitable? He has put it off successfully for quite a while.

Here is something that keeps bugging me that I hope she addresses in the forth book: Why the heck is Bella impervious to all there special mind tricks? And what's with her dreams? She seems to have some kind of special ability to tie things together and have forsight in her dreams. Do you think that the dreams and the impervoiusness are related? Could there have been some mythical history in her geneology? Like somewhere in her genetic make-up there is something besides human DNA? You could also argue that it has already been explained that the special abilities the few vampires have came from special abilities they had while humans. If you take that road, then what is her potential "ability" as a vampire? What might these dreams translate into- or will this ability disappear since vampires can't sleep?

Kristy

Shelly said...

For some reason I don't anticipate the author addressing the whole situation with Bella's special powers. She hasn't led up to it at all yet, but who knows? I do think she will become a vampire. Where else could the story go? It seems like they've explored every other route already.

I agree with your point about it being easier for Edward to control his jealousy and such since he is the one Bella really wants and he knows that.

Did you notice online the book she's writing from Edward's point of view? She posted the first chapter on her website. It looks really interesting too.