
So I thought it would be interesting to note some of the things that I have learned from my recent Thanksgiving adventure. The full clinical name for the appendix is "vermiform appendix" which means worm-like appendage. You can see why they gave it such a technical name from the pictures. It is a small tube-like structure that hangs off of your colon. People argue about what it is for. Some people say that back when we were primal and didn't eat as much meat (when was that again, from all of the very scientific movies and cartoons that I have seen depicting a typical caveman, he always had a drumstick in hand. Must have been tofurky). The arguement that most resonates with me is that it is a resevoir for good bacteria that your body uses for normal digestion. When you get diareaha you flush out all of your good bacteria and the store of bacteria in your appendix might allow you to recover quicker. Probably more necessary in third world countries, but I still am a little uncomforatable with having lost my secret stash of bacteria buddies. 

Anyway, you are most likely to get inflamation of the appendix (appendicitis) between 10-30yrs of age (whew, just made it). Know one really knows how many people die from untreated appendicitis, but since the surgery is so easy for most people they figure why not take it out. If you don't, then you run the risk of a really nasty infection running throughout your body. So what with the economy and all, I thought I would help a doctor out and get the little guy taken out. Since it is the closest thing we have to a pet, Kristy decided to name it Mushu. Anyways, if you want to learn anything and everything about these little worm like dudes living inside you, give me a call. Like I just read about this ex-marine that had his appendix removed through his nose. Freaking awesome! I wonder if he left a small remenant as a nose ring?
Wednesday, December 10, 2008
Be Gone, Ye worm-like appendage
Posted by Bliss Sorority (XX) - Flagstaff Chapter at 10:09 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
That is very interesting as well as disgusting. Those pictures "make me want to throw up all over the place." (direct quote from Kam talking to Amy about a recent shopping purchase she made that he obviously didn't like)
I'm glad the worm like appendage doesn't reside with you anymore. We're all hoping you have a good recovery as well Cody.
Thanks for the pictorial view!!!
Wow, no idea that happened Cody. Here's to a speedy recovery. You can hang out with Sofia now in the appendixless crowd.
When I had my gall bladder out around the same time as Kam's aunt they called us "the gutless wonders". what do we call you now Cody?
Post a Comment