Friday, May 30, 2008

Waiting...

So I haven't quite cemented what I want to say here but I suppose this is an okay forum for a train of thought ramble. I'm trying to figure out the purpose of waiting, I mean besides the obvious patience lesson. Do you think its really all just a person by person lesson, or could there really be an over-arching theme--something I'm missing. I would assume that we all have our own brand of patience-testing or patience-teaching experiences. Could it be helping us learn to control ourselves so we can be successful as gods? Is it to help us learn discipline (different idea from self-control)? Is it to teach us that we aren't in control as much as we'd like to be, to teach us submission? Just pondering...
Kristy

4 comments:

Appraiser Cory said...

Kristy, I think the reason why no one has replied to this post is because it's way too complex for the likes of us. Who knows? I read that awhile ago, but didn't have anything insightful to add. However, a few days have gone by and I am much smarter now so I'll comment. I think waiting teaches us self control and patience but that's the obvious answer. Kinda like this website experience, huh? The ultimate waiting game! By the way, what were you referring to when you made that comment. You must have been thinking of something specific :-)

Bliss Sorority (XX) - Flagstaff Chapter said...

Specifically, in my case, I was thinking of my health issues and having to wait to have my prayers and blessings answered. I wanted to make the post more generic because it illicits more responses, in theory. I was hoping people could think of their own experiences and discuss what they have learned/are learning. Just to get the ball rolling, lets assume that waiting is to teach self control and patience, why? Why are those things so important after we finish this life and we and those around us are perfect?
(I'm still open to suggestions of the purpose of waiting.) Does anyone have any scripture stories to back up their theories?

Bliss Sorority (XX) - Flagstaff Chapter said...

I was talking with a friend of mine and she suggested the idea of long-suffering. I think that is a good thought. Christ was long-suffering.

Amy said...

OK fine, I will write something. I think that learning patience is some kind of payback for something we did wrong in the pre-existence. No really I think there are very deep lessons to be learned about faith in the Lord. For me, many of my hardest experiences have come from some set of experience that were out of my control. Yes, I think we do learn self discipline but I also think we learn something deeper if we really look for it. We learn that God has his hand in the very details of our lives. We learn that if we really turn our hearts over to Him He can make so much more out of our lives. We learn to let go of our pride (which shows its ugly face a little differently for each of us) when we are in a situation that is out of our control. Make sense?